First Impressions: The Makita Multi-Cutter
If you’ve got a bunch of upholstery work coming up, or anything else involving fabric, cardboard, leather, rubber or vinyl, Makita has a new solution that should make your work about 30 times easier. The Makita Multi-Cutter works on the 12V CXT battery platform and cuts a lot of different types materials with relative ease. The new multi-cutter has a 1/4″ max cutting capacity and a self-sharpening blade. With a brisk 300 RPM, this new solution provides a cleaner and less painful cutting solution than razor blades and scissors.
Multi-Cut My Life Into Pieces, This Is My First Resort…
The new Makita Multi-Cutter emphasizes performance, ergonomics, efficiency, and precision. It can cut through cardboard, carpet, leather, rubber, and vinyl up to 1/4″ thick. And, in case you were worried about having to constantly change out dull blades, Makita has included a self-sharpening blade.
Makita designed the multi-cutter with better ergonomics. It includes a rubber overmold on the handle, and the whole tool only weighs 1.6 lbs. With the slide-style battery attached, the Makita Multi-Cutter can stand up on its own. It also measures in at a cool 10-3/4″ long.
All of this is to say that the Makita Multi-Cutter is comfortable in the hand and comfortable to use. It doesn’t weigh a lot, the handle feels good, and the trigger is placed in a pretty natural position relative to your fingers. The trigger lock is easily accessible by either the thumb or forefinger. Because it stands up on its battery, it won’t get lost under a piece of fabric.
Makita has also included a sight line on the guard to ensure that you’re able to make precise, consistent cuts. Of course, you’d like all your cuts to be precise, and if it weren’t for the sight line, the guard would definitely clutter up your view of what’s going on with the business end of the blade. But the sight line removes any doubt about where, exactly, the cutting action happens.
The Makita Multi-Cutter Kit comes with the tool, a 12V Max Lithium-Ion 2.0Ah battery, a 12V Max CXT Lithium-Ion charger, and a tool bag. It retails for around $129, and it comes with Makita’s 3-Year warranty on the tool, the battery, and the charger. And, if you’ve already got enough Makita batteries and chargers, the bare tool is available for around $71.36. Eventually, you’ll want a replacement blade as well, which can be picked up for around $9.99.
A few months ago, I spent a fair amount of time and energy on an upholstering project that required some shag carpet. Armed with only a semi-dull razor blade, the job took 3 times longer than I expected it to, and if truth be told, I made a huge mess out of it. Oh, how I would’ve loved to have the Makita Multi-Cutter in my hot little hands, rather than trying to hack off pieces of carpet with a worn out blade. Unfortunately, this tool didn’t show up until long after the fact. Oh well, c’est la vie, I guess.
And, your mileage may vary here, but as I’ve been writing this article, I might’ve stumbled upon the best use for the Makita Multi-Cutter: getting into clamshell packaging. Rather than risking any appendages on using my pocketknife to get into the plastic equivalent of Fort Knox, I just run this cutter along the edges of the package, and zip, zip, zip, I’ve got the package open with all my fingers intact. Of course, scissors would be helpful in this instance as well, but the Makita Multi-Cutter is faster and easier. I digress…Anyway, for anyone that cuts fabric, leather, or anything else 1/4″ thick or less, the Makita Multi-Cutter could prove a really handy tool to have around the shop.
Makita Multi-Cutter Features
- Cuts cardboard, carpet, leather, rubber, vinyl and more up to 1/4″ thick
- Self-sharpening blade feature ensures maximum cutting efficiency
- Built-in sight line for precise cutting
- Weighs only 1.6 lbs. with battery for reduced operator fatigue
- Compact and ergonomic design at only 10-3/4″ long
- Makita-built motor delivers 300 RPM for cutting a wide range of material
- 12V slide battery design enables the tool to stand on its own for user convenience
- Ergonomically designed handle with rubberized soft grip provides increased comfort
- Part of the expanding 12V max CXT series, combining performance with superior ergonomics in a compact size
- Battery Protection Circuit protects against overloading, over-discharging, and over-heating
- 12V max CXT Lithium-Ion 2.0Ah battery (BL1021B) features an integrated L.E.D. battery charge level indicator
- 3-year limited warranty on tool, battery, and charger
Makita Multi-Cutter Specs
- Model Number: PC01R3
- Max. Cutting Capacity: 1/4″
- No Load Speed: 300 RPM
- Battery: 12V Max CXT Lithium-Ion
- Overall Length: 10-3/4″
- Net Weight (With Battery): 1.6 lbs.
- Shipping Weight: 5.1 lbs.
- Available In A Kit Which Includes: the tool, (1) 12V Max CXT Lithium-Ion 2.0Ah Battery, (1) 12V Max CXT Lithium-Ion Charger, Tool Bag
- MSRP: $129
- Also Available As A Bare Tool: PC01Z
- Bare Tool MSRP: $71.36
For more information about this Makita tool, as well as Makita’s other offerings, check out MakitaTools.com.