The Chicago Electric 68885 MIG Flux Cored Welder offers 170-amp DC, 240-volt power—perfect for smaller welding tasks. It comes set up for flux arc welding and only requires adding shielding gas (along with some other necessary components) for full MIG welding applications. The welder offers constant 240-volt, and thermal overload protection.
This particular Chicago Electric 68885 welder can only weld mild steel or low carbon steel and stainless steel. It’s suitable for projects with of up to 1/4″ gaps on 18 gauge material. It’s a lightweight unit with a compact design, making it convenient to transport and store it when not in use. It comes ready to go with a welding cable and gun. One drawback is the 68885 MIG Flux Cored welder only has 4 power settings. If you need more control, go with a higher level model. When it’s all said and done, the fact that you can nab a full MIG setup for under $500 with the tank and regulator is pretty impressive!
The Chicago Electric 68885 MIG Flux Cored Welder comes equipped with a handheld face shield, wire brush and chipping hammer combo, 3 contact tips with sizes (0.035″, 0.030″, 0.023″), a 30″ long gas hose, 2 pieces of hose clamp, and 1 pound spool of 0.030 in. flux core wire.
Chicago Electric 68885 MIG Flux Cored Welder Key Features
- MIG or Flux Core Arc Welding
- Four output settings
- Constant voltage
- Manual wire feed speed control
- Thermal overload protection with indicator light
- 6 ft. welding cable with gun
Chicago Electric 68885 MIG Flux Cored Welder Specifications
- Name: 170 Amp-DC, 240 Volt, MIG/Flux Cored Welder
- SKU: 68885
- Brand: Chicago Electric Welding
- Amperage (amps): 20
- Duty cycle: 20% at 110 amps
- Maximum amperage output (amps): 170
- Maximum Diameter: 0.030″ and 0.035″
- Minimum Diameter: 0.023″
- Open Circuit Voltage: 40
- Thermal Overload Protection (y/n): Yes
- Travel speed (ft./min.): 30 to 650 inches per minute
- Weldable metals: Mild or low carbon steel and stainless steel (does not weld aluminum)
- Welding capacities: 18 gauge up to 1/4″
- Product Height: 21″
- Product Length: 29.3″
- Product Width: 12.3″
- Shipping Weight: 56.75 lbs
- Size(s): 170
- Warranty: 90 days
- Price: $184.99
The Chicago Electric Welding is only available at Harbor Freight and runs around $185.
Leave a Reply