Powermatic 31A Combo Belt/Disc Sander
This Powermatic 31A combo sander is rated 4.4/5 by Amazon’s customer reviewers. The belt and disc sander weighs 163 lbs., heavy—until you realize that this weight is what helps keep the machine steady while you work. It has almost no vibration when you’re sanding. We’ll take a glimpse of the combo sander’s key features and sanding capabilities to give you a feel for whether this might be a good product for your shop.
Featuring full cast iron construction for a rock solid surface while sanding, the Powermatic 31A Combo Belt/Disc Sander allows sanding of both wood and metal pieces, and both belt and disc tables have miter slots to conveniently allow for supported miter sanding. In addition, the combo sanders also feature an articulating table mounted on the 6″ x 48″ belt sander head that gives the option to use it vertically, horizontally, or even angled to accommodate diverse sanding applications. The belt head has an indexing pin with stops at 0 degree, 45 degrees, and 90 degrees, plus a head lock that allows use at any angle in-between.
In addition, the Powermatic 31A belt/disc sander also features an integral dual dust port to keep both belt and disc portions clean. By removing the top guard, you can do contour sanding, and the cast iron tables with miter gauge slots and positive stops make set-up fast, accurate, and simple for any angle of sanding.
Powermatic 31A Combo Belt/Disc Sander Key Features
- Multi-position belt head locks at any angle from 0° to 90°; indexing pin for 0, 45°, and 90° stops
- Belt and disc tables are precision ground cast iron with miter slots
- Belt table tilts down to 45°, and can be set for beveled and mitered angle sanding
- Full cast iron platen with solid crowned aluminum drums
- 12″ disc is balanced for flat, even coverage
Powermatic 31A Combo Sander Specifications
- Part Number: 1791291K
- Disc Diameter (In.): 12
- Disc Speed (RPM): 2,375
- Disc Table Tilt (Deg.): 15 Up, 45 Down
- Disc Table Size (L x W) (In.): 17-1/4 x 9
- Sanding Belt Size (L x W) (In.): 48 x 6
- Belt Speed (RPM): 2,410
- Belt Table Tilt (Deg.): 45 Down
- Belt Table Size (L x W) (In.): 13-1/4 x 7-1/2
- Sanding Arm Locking Positions: 0, 45, 90 degrees
- Dust Collection Minimum CFM Required (CFM): 400
- Dust Port Outside Diameter (In.): 4
- Motor Power (HP): 1-1/2
- Motor Phase: 115, 230
- Motor Voltage (V.): 115, 230
- Prewired Voltage (V): 115
- Wiring Remarks: Push Button Switch
- Motor Current (Amps): 14, 7
To sum it up, the Powermatic 31A has larger tables, with disc table size of 17-1/4″ x 9″ and belt table size of 13-1/4″ x 7-1/2″; plus, its motor current rating are 14A and 7A and 1.5HP motor.